Updated: Jun 4
The best way to teach children about caring for nature and subsequently our earth is by example. Not only our own actions such as dropping a plastic bottle into a recycling bin but in different ways that the children can relate to.
The following are some ways that parents can build lifelong habits in children to be more earth conscious;
· Encourage use of washable cloth instead of paper towel to clean up messes.
· Save water as much as possible. For example; form a habit of not letting the water run while brushing teeth.
· Recycle and reuse paper.
· Visit Rocky Point Park or other marine mammal habitats. Watch the seals. Pick up trash found near the water. Discuss what happens when plastic bottles end up in the sea where the marine mammals might find them.
· Plant a tree, save a tree, hug a tree or try the following fun activities
Geography: Fix the Earth
* Globe or laminated picture of earth
* Small band aids
* Pictures of earth problems from around the world. Example;
* Oil spill affecting marine life in Vancouver, BC
* Polar bear stranded on ice floe in the Arctic
* Garbage landfills in India
* Air pollution in China
Give each child a small band aid to stick on places around the world as you discuss them. For younger children stick to continents.
Read Something from Nothing by Phoebe Gilman and then talk about clothing waste. Think of ways to reduce it. Example…
· Fix it before you give up
· Buy clothes made from recycled materials
· Swap and/or donate clothes
· Use as rags instead of paper towels
Song: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Tune: Eensy Weensy Spider
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle-words that we all know
We have to save our earth so we can live and grow
We might be only children but we will try, you’ll see
And we can save this planet-it starts with you and me!
Tune: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
We recycle what we use
Separate things and you should too!
Glass and Paper, Plastic, Tin
Go in your recycling bin!
We must start now, we can’t wait
Quick, or it will be too late!